Tuesday, June 27, 2006


Today is a beautiful, sunshiney day, so I decided to take a quilt and some morning tea out into the back yard and work on my candlewick cushion for a while. I felt I had earnt it after three loads of laundry, baking, mopping the floors and taking dogs and children for a loooong walk! The delicious chocolate slice in the photo was freshly made this morning, and I was very proud that I have done so much this morning.











These beautiful little dogs are our family pet, Abbey(brown and white), and Mum's little fellow, Shiloh(black ears). They are young Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Shiloh is visiting us for a few weeks while Mum is in New Zealand on a well earned vacation. He arrived by plane yesterday evening, and will travel home with Mum as she spends a week here with us before she goes home.


The illusion of the perfect morning break didn't last long. About 30 seconds after I took this picture of the dogs they broke into a scuffle and managed to up end the tea all over the slice and my stitching work. Aaargh! Fortunately it isn't too marked, so I'll try to finish the stitching today so that I can wash it in a bit of oxyclean. Fingers crossed that it will be ok. I also managed to quickly eat the slice so it didn't go soggy sitting in its little pond of tea! Things never really go according to plan, do they?

10 comments:

Lisa said...

The second I saw their sweet little faces, I was afraid the morning was about to take a turn. lol They are really cute, though.

It sounds like you got tons done this morning. I'm glad you were able to get outside and do some stitching, even if the dogs did make a quick ending of it. And I agree...things never do quite go as planned but at least it entertains your blogging buddies in the wee hours when they should be sleeping. hehe

Lisa said...

Me again. I was just admiring the picture you took. I just love it and I really like the pattern you're stitching. I can't get believe all those french knots. They are my achilles heel ( I first typed hell, by accident...perhaps that's telling lol). I have made one successfully. That's it. One...and then it came out. lol

Emma said...

Thanks for looking Lisa :) I got heaps done on the candle wicking this afternoon while Joshua was napping. I will be turning it into a cushion to sit on my rocking chair. They are actually colonial knots, rather than french knots, and I find them a LOT easier than the french knots are. The thread is twisted in a sort of figure 8 around the needle and pulls tight much more neatly than the french knots do.

Lisa said...

I've read about Colonial knots vs. French Knots. I can't do them either. grr but I will have to try again.

I'm glad you got bunches done today and I look forward to seeing the cushion. :)

Anonymous said...

That is just so funny, sorry I shouldn't laugh at your misfortune, but it is heartening that it is not only me who sets herself up to do some pretty lady-like work and relax with a drink and ends up with drink everywhere and in total disarray.

BTW the work you have done so far on the cushion looks beautiful and the cake looks yummy! Cute doggies.

Blessings.

p.s. 'french knots' 'colonial knots' this is all over my head, lol.

Emma said...

Thanks Sarah, I know you are laughing with me, not at me. lol The dogs are lucky they are cute!

The french knot discussion is one every stitcher has a lot. I have not met a stitcher yet who likes french knots lol. So we all complain about them!

Tammy said...

Awww, the first picture was so pretty and relaxing, but like Lisa, when I saw the doggies, I thought "uh oh". Hope you get the work done and the tea doesn't stain it!

Hulda said...

Your dogs are really cute! We got two dogs too, bichon frises. Lovely white dogs. :)

Hulda said...

Your dogs are really cute! We got two dogs too, bichon frises. Lovely white dogs. :)

Emma said...

Thanks for coming over Tammy and Hulda! They are gorgeous dogs, but they haven't been making themselves popular this week!