Wednesday, May 20, 2009

We have a birthday celebration coming up in our house, and in anticipation of a gorgeous autumn day, I planted the cool weather blooms that make winter so beautiful here. My violas, most obligingly, have started flowering, and yesterday morning everything was looking lush and lovely.

Today, however, our backyard, which serves as drainage for seemingly the entire suburb, is ankle deep in water. My violas and alyssum are decidedly soggy. The goldfish's pond has overflowed.

But isn't it still pretty? Other than the tragically sagging clothes line.

Our car is still at the workshop, giving me a wonderful excuse to keep the kids at home today. It's a 500m walk to the train station. Convenient in fine weather, but certainly not my idea of fun in the current deluge. It's chilly, and I didn't want to think about the wet, cold children in drafty classrooms all day. Far nicer to stay home and drink hot chocolate! Even if homework still needs to be done. Hopefully the car will be done today.

1 comment:

Megan said...

The violas are blooming over here on the other side of the world as well!