Monday, September 25, 2006

Menu Plan Monday

Monday: Lamb Samosas (using up leftovers from Sunday's roast), green salad.

Tuesday: Spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce (packed with hidden vegies for my non-eating toddler)

Wednesday: Slow cooked beef casserole, garlic mashed potato, broccoli and carrots

Thursday: Salmon Rissoles, coleslaw, green salad

Friday: Buttermilk roast chicken, coleslaw, green salad, strawberry sour cream streusel cake.

Saturday: Homemade pizza - taco flavoured

Sunday: Homemade fried rice

It's school holidays here (spring break) and I have a little more time to spend on cooking than I usually do. It's amazing how much time the school pick up and drop off take! We don't have the luxury of school buses here. It's already Monday afternoon here, and I have the grocery shopping done. It was a challenge with all three kids, though giving the older two tasks helped. It was a surprisingly frugal shopping excursion. I can only thank the menu planning for that. I had an almost perfect list, and an eight year old determined to only purchase that which was on the list. He was uncertain at my spontaneous watermelon purchase "It's not on the list, Mum!" He was satisfied with the explanation that it will make a perfect afternoon tea outside on an already hot day. Now I am trying to coax them into waiting for afternoon tea time!

As usual, head over to Organising Junkie for more great menu ideas!

14 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Emma! I loved hearing about life in Australia. Most of us here are talking about how chilly it is getting. Your menu sounds so delicious. Would you be able to share your buttermilk roast chicken recipe? Have a great day! Laura

Jodi said...

Sounds like a yummy week at your house! I agree with Laura, you need to share the chicken recipe!

I also know all to well how busy drop off and pick up are at school. The school my son attends doens't have buses either, so it gets crazy here!

Happy Monday!

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I have posted to you.....your menu sounds wonderful.
I love Taco Pizza......
jen

Anonymous said...

Your meals sound so interesting. Enjoy the week off from school.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great menu, and I think Friday's meal sounds so delicious, top to bottom! :) That's so cute that your 8 year old held you to your list!!!

Have a great day, and a great week :)

Margaret said...

Enjoy that watermelon!

I love that both of my kids are taking the bus this year.

Susanne said...

It's spring over there? My it's starting to kick into the cooler weather here! Your menu sounds delicious!

hollyday said...

Your menus look great! One day I aspire to be that organized LOL ;). This is my first year with both boys on the bus and I love it--pick up and drop off do take a lot of time ((Hugs))

Lisa said...

So odd to think it's Spring Break somewhere. :) Your menu looks yummy. I really need to do menu planning. I loved it when I did it and I am just plain being too lazy to do it, which is crazy because it just adds more work, time and worry NOT to. It's neat that the 8 year old was keeping you on task. hehe

Jenn said...

Emma! The taco pizza DOES sound good! YUMM~
I like the moroccan pizza because i have a son with milk allergies, so the no cheese is perfect. I've made it before, and it's a keeper for us.

I'm going to have to try a taco pizza for the grown ups though!! My kids are too picky, they like boring ol pepperoni, but dh, myself and my baby loves the moroccan....the others don't.

Anonymous said...

Your menu sounds so wonderful! The apple salad that I make has apples, grapes, pineapple, and pecans, a sauce of mayo, pineapple juice, butter and cornstarch. I would be glad to give you the recipe. My kids both love it and it yields quite a bit. Have a great day and thanks for stopping by :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a delicious week!

Isabella in the 21st Century said...

There is NOTHING better than a well planned furgal menu...it makes my heart sing! I'm such a food lover and when I cook I get into that Italian Mama mode forcing all of the family to eat more "mange, mange"...and I'm not even Italian!

Bec said...

Oh my! Here I was smugly thinking I'd invented the weekly family menu (ours goes up on a big glass board every Saturday) and now I find there are whole websites devoted to the cause!! I usually go through the weekend magazines and a couple of cookbooks and think what I saw in the shops last week - now I also have YOU for inspiration (and organising junkie, of course!!)

Do you post yours every week?