Friday, May 04, 2007




Yes, I am still here. Doing a whole lot more reading than writing at the moment, that's all.

I started at a gym about a month ago, and the thought of exercise is consuming large parts of my brain. We're trying to eat more healthy food. I have lapsed lately into a morass of instant and easy prep food. Joining the gym gave me a shake up. My blood pressure was highish for the first time ever, and I can only blame my own laziness, both regarding exercise and diet. I have cleaned up my act, and am already feeling better for it.

The first day was hilarious. If you call almost passing out on a cross trainer after an appalling two minutes on the lowest setting hilarious. I am sure it would have looked funny. The second time I summoned up the courage to climb on the cross trainer was not much better. I had waited a couple of weeks before this attempt, trying to build up my level of fitness just a little before I faced that monster a second time. I lasted two and a half minutes. Then I fell off. I didn't think about how you have to slow these things down before you stop, and when I stopped, the machine kept going, and practically ate one of my legs. The bruise was quite impressive. At least the world didn't turn black and start spinning like the first time.

Now I have managed to build up to five minutes on the cross trainer, as well as increasing my intensity on the other machines, and I clamber off with all the grace a short pudding like myself can muster. I am enjoying feeling a little healthier, though I could sleep the clock around at the moment. When I first started at the gym Brett and the kids were on holidays, so I could indulge in the luxury of a nana nap. Now that they're all back at work and school I don't dare, for fear I'd sleep through school pick up time.

9 comments:

meggie said...

I laughed (sorry) at your first attempts! Glad you are getting better at it all.
Love your gorgeous animals!

Melissa said...

Good for you - I need to that too.

Anonymous said...

Lol, I could never work the cross trainer at the gym. I am very uncoordinated. You should see me try step aerobics, too funny.

Anonymous said...

We have an elliptical machine in our basement. My husband hops on, and can go for 30-40 minutes at a clip. I tried it once, and managed 5 minutes. Haven't tried again, so I totally feel your pain and I'm so impressed you got back on!

Miriam Pauline said...

I've missed you my friend! I tagged you on my site. Hope you will join the fun.

hollyday said...

That's why I walk lol ;). Good for you for keeping up with it! Love the picture btw, as I sit here trying to type with a large cat laying across my arms ;). ((hugs))

Melissa said...

I tagged you for a meme.

Joyce at Salisburys Corner said...

Hi Emma

Glad to hear you are doing well at the gym! Im still here reading! Chat soon
Hugs

Tanya said...

Looks like we're in tragic gym mode together - I got a call recently from the owner of the gym telling me I needed to go back. And I have. I did a class (step) the other week and all I can say is, I'm glad I was up the back where few people could see me because when it comes to coordination, I have none!! Hope things improve for you :)