Monday, March 10, 2008

I was going to post a triumphant finished applique in this space, a cushion I was making for a little girl's birthday gift. Fifteen minutes before I expected to finish sewing it together disaster struck. A number of excuses can be made for my stupidity. It was very soft fleece, and needed to be held in place very closely, I was swapping between zigzagging the edges (it was fraying badly) and straight sewing the seams, and I was hurrying, as we were due at the party in an hour. Anyway, one moment I was about to zig an edge and the next the machine needle zagged right through my nail and finger tip.

Much yelling ensued. First I screamed. Then I remembered that sometimes hollering is ignored in our house, so I yelled out the reason. "Darling Hubby! Help! The needle's gone through my finger!"

That turned out not to be a good plan. All three of our children freaked out. The guilt I felt from upsetting them didn't help either. I stopped yelling (no point yelling when everyone's already here). The kids didn't. After taking one look at my still impaled finger, I kept my eyes tightly closed. Hubby was trying to figure out which way to wind the thingy that raises the needle. I was trying to settle the littlies down, and stay calm myself. It was not a shining moment in our house.

Thankfully, Hubby reversed the needle smoothly, and a bit of elastoplast and a couple of painkillers solved the rest. We were a little late for the party, but my best friend held up the cake bit for us. Present came from K Mart. Cake and an excess of sugary treats did wonders for the kids' trauma.

The cushion will be finished later in the week.

4 comments:

meggie said...

EEk! What an awful thing to happen. Hope there is no lasting damage, & can we please see pics of the cushion once it is finished?

Velda said...

Oh dear Lord! I had flashbacks of stapling my finger with an industrial stapler years ago. I hope it's not too sore today! ((hugs))

Margaret said...

OUCH.

I hope it's feeling better today. And that when you return to the cushion it is without further incident!!!

Melissa said...

I cringed and cringed and cringed when I read that. I am glad your children have recovered.