Monday, November 02, 2009

Weekend Fun

A week ago I went to the local craft fair. I took Samara with me, and we both indulged in exploring our favourite things. Samara had a great time spending her savings on beads. She'd originally said that she was going to only spend a small portion of her money (mostly earned with chores and tooth fairy payments), and save the rest for a toy she wanted, but halfway through the day she announced that from now on she was only going to save for craft fair spending money.

I spent most of my 'allowance' on knitting yarn, mostly silks. I have so many projects in mind at the moment. The knitting above is the first of a pair of socks I am knitting with Noro Silk Garden sock yarn. It feels more like painting than knitting. I am loving every second I get to work with these wonderful rich colours.

I have also started the teachers' Christmas gifts for the year. We have only a few weeks left in the school year. I did the above stitching last night watching tv. I like it so much I think I'll be making a second one for me. The teacher this is intended for has taught one or another of my children for the past five years. She has quite a collection of ornaments I have made. She was telling me last week that she no longer hangs them on her tree, but has a special stand for them. Sadly, this will be the last year we have her. Samara is moving into the next classroom next year, and Josh will not be old enough to move up. The following year our cherished little school will be closing, and we will be moving on to another school, with a whole new set of teachers. It's going to be tough after the close relationships we have formed with all the staff at our current school.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love what you are working on, I knitted my first pair of socks this year.

cheers
Christine

Lisa said...

Awww those connections are so important. I still remember all my early teachers. The socks are just beautiful. I loved what you said about feeling more like you are painting. The ornament you're working on is really gorgeous. Makes me want to stitch. I think you've had that effect on me more than once. :)

Kristin said...

OMG that yarn is gorgeous!