Thursday, November 02, 2006

This is Cleo. She's a brand new member of our family. I just got her this morning. She's already charmed us all, especially Abbey, our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Abbey has been rushing around behind her all day, making sure she's staying out of trouble. I think they are going to be best of friends. This afternoon I saw Cleo smooching up to Abbey, so that bodes well. StJohn, our other cat is unsure of what to think, but has checked the interloper out and decided she's not a threat. Anything that causes Mum to feed him earlier than usual must be A Good Thing.

We had an unexpected visitor last weekend in the form of a fledgling blue faced honeyeater. Apparently it takes them a couple of days to figure out how to fly and this little one leapt into the wide blue yonder only to crash into our shed and end up lying stunned on our back lawn. It was very fortunate for him that I was hanging out a load of laundry at the time, and I was able to pick him up and keep him safe until he'd recovered. His frantic parents weren't very grateful, though, and I was forced to use an umbrella as a shield as I put him in a tree. I did get some nice pictures though!

Finally here's a picture of one of our two lovebird hatchlings. She's a little creamino, and her colouring was a delightful surprise as her parents are perfectly average lovebirds. We must have had a few recessive genes lurking around in there! She's already had her first trip to the vet. She had a thread of cotton wrapped around her ankle and it had cut off the circulation. We managed to save her tiny foot though, with hot compresses and massage.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

So much cute-ness in this post!

Anonymous said...

Oh! Oh! Kitten!!!! I wish my two were still that little :)

. said...

Oh I want to live your life just for a day! kittens and a bird I've never seen and a baby lovebird. The awww quotient is almost more than I can bear!!!

Sara Laughs said...

The birds are amazing! I had no idea you were breeding your lovebirds. What will you do with the baby now?

Anonymous said...

Aww, Cleo is adorable! Glad you were able to help the baby honeyeater. LOL about the umbrella. What a beautiful baby lovebird. What's the other one look like?

Margaret said...

What cool birds! And your new kitten is just adorable!

Jaime said...

what a cute kitty and nice looking birds

Tanya said...

Oh, they are all SO cute. That honeyeater shot is fabulous.