Friday, December 22, 2006


It's a rainy day today. The moment the rain hit the roof, at 6:24 am, I shot out of bed and into the rain in my nightie to drag the parched potted plants out from under the eaves of the house. The children are ecstatic, and keep running to the glass doors to look out as each shower drifts across the city. You see, Brisbane is in the grips of The Drought. Every so often we get a little rain, just enough to green up our dying lawn and give my little lime tree false hope. It flowers after every shower, then the tiny limes drop off the tree a couple of weeks later. It keeps trying though.
Today's rain does not promise to be any better. We have a forecast of showers leading up to a fine weekend. The dams are draining. Water restrictions mean that the children aren't allowed to play with the hose. We'll enjoy today so much for the hope it brings, and keep praying for the downpours we really need.

I have a little finish to show off. I am exceptionally proud of it, especially because my sewing machine is broken, so I have spent every spare moment of this week hand stitching the border of the little cushion. I still need to attach a ribbon to hang it, but I was so pleased with it that I just had to show off a little!

6 comments:

Megan said...

So glad the rain has come for you!

Your SB cushion is beautiful - bravo on your hand stitching! I wouldn't dare attempt it.

_ said...

I'm sorry about the lack of rain. I'm glad you got a little today.

That cushion is gorgeous! I reall ylove that pattern.

Melissa said...

I bet you will be so glad when the deluge finally comes...the cushion is gorgeous...You should be proud.

BTW a move from Australia to Canada? That is huge, how does one move half-way around the world these days?

Lisa said...

Oh you should be proud of it, it's lovely.

You've just answered a question for me (on the next post)..when I walk I pass a nativity scene and it always bothers me that Baby Jesus isn't there because I think that either someone has stolen him or the owners are afraid someone will steal him. But now I realize, they probably are waiting until Christmas to put him out there! Yay! Thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Emma your cushion is just beautiful!

I love your rainy photo's too, here it's damp, damp, damp and cold. We could do with a deep frost to kill off some germs, so many bugs and viruses flying around here. Lol.

Sara Laughs said...

What lovely pictures. Good job on the cushion.