Thursday, January 25, 2007

Emma's Super Dooper You Beaut, All Aussie Pumpkin Pizza ;)
I first make a batch of bread dough in my bread maker.
Dice the pumpkin into bite sized pieces, and place in a roasting pan with one purple/red onoin cut into strips. Spray with cooking spray and bake until the pumpkin is cooked and the onion soft. I alternatively microwave the pumpkin and caramelise the onion in a small pan with some butter.
Roll out the dough into two pizza bases. I make rectangular pizzas because the topping stays on better for the kids. I add the toppings in this order - a thin layer of mozzarella cheese (to act as glue, The pumpkin/onion mix. At this point I just top the kid's pizza with loads more mozzarella. Our more sophisticated pizza also gets fresh oregano or sage leaves, roughly chopped macadamia nuts and a liberal topping of fetta cheese.
I cook it for about 25 minutes on the lower shelf of a very hot oven.
It's very simple to make, and hugely popular in our little family!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sound really good! Pumpkins are hard to find around here except around Halloween/Thanksgiving, but I'll bet I could use a butternut squash instead.

Margaret said...

Good thought! We want to grill pizza again this weekend. Perhaps a winter squash pizza will be on the menu.

meggie said...

Wow Emma, that looks really great!
I love olives so would add those!

Kelli said...

Yummo Emma, I adore pumpkin pizza! Your sophisticated version sounds delectable - I hadn't thought of macadaemia nuts on pizza before (I use pine nuts sometimes)sounds like a yummy idea though! You are so creative!

Emma said...

We don't call butternuts 'squash' so much here, they're all just another type of pumpkin ;) I have made this with butternuts and with jap pumpkins with equal success.