Thursday, May 04, 2006

It has been one of those weeks that leaves you feeling really, really tired.

Samara broke her arm on Saturday, and has spent the week home from school, partly because I have been giving her paracetamol and partly because we are still waiting to go to the fracture clinic and find out about the treatment. She fractured just above her elbow, and is in a cuff and collar sling. She's been so lively and cheerful, and she waves the sling around with such abandon that I started to wonder whether there was anything really wrong at all. Then yesterday she was playing and managed to accidentally pop the sling apart. Well, the look on her face said it all. The sling is clearly holding her arm at an angle which eases any pain a lot! She has a wonderful teacher, who gave me plenty of work to keep Samara busy during the days (my first taste of homeschooling!)

Brett is very stressed at work. He has to travel as part of his job, and has a couple of trips coming up. He hates going away, and it really shows. He's like a bear with a sore head!

Joshua and I have both had colds for the past couple of days. Poor little soul, he's so cranky when he's sick. And I wasn't much better. It was the first bug I've had in a couple of years, and I'd forgotten what it feels like. Now I remember!

This seems to be just a string of complaints, but I am quite happy with the way I have handled the week. I have been thinking a bit about my role as wife and mother. I haven't been meeting my own expectations by a long shot, but that's a whole other story. I have had a better handle on things, in spite of the set backs. I have been trying to organise a To Do list each morning, and I am forgiving myself for the stuff I don't get to. Both these steps are great progress for me, as I have spent some time paralysed by the massive sense of failure I got looking at myself. I have been doing well this week, especially with all the extra work!!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

One thing that almost never ceases to amaze me is the enormous task of being a wife and mother; and keeping home (and I don't have children yet)! Don't feel bad about yourself Emma, I'm sure you are doing a great job. We can be so hard on ourselves sometimes.

I like 'to do' lists too. When I first came home, I chanced upon a book written in the 1960's with a chapter about how to be a 'domestic goddess' *giggle*. That was quite helpful. Then Fly lady - she was a life saver. Caring for children will be my next challenge I pray!

Hope you are all feeling well soon, Samara's arm heals quickly... and good luck soothing your bear's sore ol' head! lol!