Saturday, May 27, 2006

This is the fairy toadstool cake I created for Samara's party. It's a little lopsided, but tasted great! I ran out of vanilla, so the butter cream icing was flavoured with rosewater.














Here is a photo of our little fairies, gathered in the back yard. Thirteen very excited girls! The fairy toadstool cake, with rose flavoured icing, was a hit. Each girl made a fairy wand to take home as her party favour. We played Pass the Parcel, Musical Statues and an impromptu round of Torment the Older Brothers. We also blew bubbles, played in the sandpit and cubby house and on the swings. I am exhausted, and as I type this I can hear the birthday girl snoring in her bedroom.

I could not believe the amount of food those little girls consumed. We had barely any leftovers at all! I usually overcater for parties, but this time I hit the exact amount we needed.

6 comments:

Kelli said...

Wow, what a great party cake Emma! It looks tricky to make. How did you get the mushroom cap curved like that? How excited Samara must have been when she saw it! Mmm... rose flavoured icing, what a great improvisation (I love rosewater as a flavouring). Looks like the girls had a lot of fun too. You sound exhausted so I won't ask when the next birthday party is coming up! lol!

Emma said...

Hi Kelleigh, I baked the top cake in a pudding basin and the bottom one in a dolly varden tin. The top one is resting on a circle of cardboard.

The next party is a Pirates and Princesses affair in late August for Christopher. He has ten kids in his entire class, so they will all be invited. We have parties for the kids only on even birthdays, but I think they're getting a bit too big, so I'll have to come up with some other ideas to celebrate.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic cake! Aren't you clever. I bet the party was great and the food must have been good for the kiddies to wolf it all down! Hope you got some rest after ;o)

Unknown said...

What a great job you did on that cake! It's the same one my eldest has chosen for her 5th birthday in September and I was dreading making it but seeing a picture that someone else has tried and succeeded is encouraging. I'm quite new to this blogging thing but it's great to find other like-minded Christian women blogging in Australia.

Emma said...

Thanks, Mrs Blythe! We are quite recovered now, though we shudder when the words "At my NEXT party" are uttered.

Pleased to meet you Rebekah! I had a look at your profile ... we have a lot of common interests. I had forgotten all about how much I loved the Chalet School books! Thanks for reminding me :) Now I'll have to find copies and reread them!

Emma said...

Rebekah, I forgot to mention that the cake was not too hard at all. I made a hash of getting the top one out of the pudding basin, but managed to piece it back together under the icing. The heart shaped lollies were hard to find, but I got them from KMart. Otherwise, it was a piece of cake! (Laughing at my bad pun!)